Sunday, December 11, 2016

Vogue 9037 - Double Cloth: Purple and Sage




Finally, I'm posting  my review on Vogue 9037.  I've been stalling because I really didn't like the pictures.  They were taken a few days after Thanksgiving, and it was raining.  So I just decided to take them inside instead.  They aren't as bright.


This is one of the twenty-five patterns that I wanted to make before winter.  Needless to say, my production is very, very low considering I've only made a few of the patterns set aside for the season. So, I'm late with finishing this jacket as it is snowing the third time in the Chicagoland area, and it is much too cold to wear my new jacket.

Warmer days are ahead..,

Anyway, hear is my review of V9037.


Vogue Pattern Description: Loose-fitting, unlined, double-breasted jacket has collar variations, front and back tucks, shaped front hemline and snap closing.  A:  Draped collar and three quarter length sleeves.  B:  Shawl collar B,C:  Long sleeves. C:  Side pockets and wide collar A,C:  Self-belt.  Note:  No provisions provided for above waist adjustment.

I made view C with draped collar of view A.

Pattern Sizing:  6-14; I used size 14 with minor adjustments.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, a combination of the two views.  The drawing on the website shows the back a little shorter than the front.  But my version appeared to be even shorter.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were typical and easy as stated on the envelope.  Nothing confusing or difficult about them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  

Likes:

  • I love asymmetrical hemline
  • The tucks - they create ample room in the bust area and across the upper part of my back.  So I didn't do a FBA.
  • The collar variations.  
Dislikes:
  • This isn't really a dislike; just a preference.  I think it would look and feel better across the upper arm if the sleeve was two pieces.  Then it would not be easy, right?


Fabric Used:  I used a double cloth tightly woven fabric.  It looks and feels like gaberdine.  This double-cloth is actually two fabrics fused together.  Using a scrap, I was able to pull it apart.  The substance holding it together was not sticky though.  I'll have to research double'cloth a little more.  What I do know for sure is that it provides an added layer of warmth.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I lengthen the sleeve about an inch and reduced the sleeve cap about a fourth of an inch.  Just above the fullness of the bust at the neckline, I made a small tuck in the pattern to eliminate any gapping.


I also made a few construction/design changes.  Instead of one snap, I sew on three.   Secondly, I Hong Kong finished the seams and added binding to the hem.  And lastly, I added sleeve heads to shape the sleeve cap.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I don't think I will.  I have so many more jackets I want to try.  But who knows, I may change my mind.  And I do recommend it to others.

Conclusion: This is a cute jacket and it is fairly easy to sew.  It a good design for hourglass and inverted-triangle figures.  The tucks give some fullness through the hips area and provides ample room in the bust area.


7 comments:

  1. Taking pictures for blogs is so tedious, but I am glad you have showed us this lovely jacket - it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very nic, love the style of this coat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol from candekiss.comDecember 12, 2016 at 1:23 PM

    Love the jacket, hoping to make my own versions for fall and winter soon.

    I like these pictures, they have so much personality, especially the last three with the funny faces. They remind me of faces I make in the middle of a make, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and perfect for a Chicago winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this jacket and the color is all that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this jacket - great color too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin